środa, 30 lipca 2008

Interview with Eivind Aarset


Wojtek Krasowski: Tell me about yours beginnings with music education, when do you start a interests of music?

Eivind Aarset: I got an intense experience when I was 11 or 12, hearing Jimi Hendrix for the first time, before that music wasn´t really on my mind, and from there on music became a big part of my life. I think my intrest for sounds also partly is from Hendrix. In his playing sound, tones, harmony and rythm is totally integrated in my opinion.

 

WK: You've recorded albums with many musicians. Who is your favorite partner?

AE: Oh it is really difficult to choose because it is so different with different musicians. Nils Petter Molvær is very special for me because, I got the room over many years and hundreds of gigs to rediscover my own voice. But also I was working with Marilyn Mazur, Bugge Wesseltoft, Jon Hassell, Dhafer Youssef, Arve Henriksen and Bendik Hofseth has been very important

 

WK: How do you start working on an album or a track? Do you start by collecting sounds or ideas?

AE: Most of the time I just start fooling around with my guitar, and suddenly a chord idea, or a line, or a sound pops up, or maybe a combination of everything.

 

WK: Tell something more about your label – Jazzland Recordings. How do you get there?

AE: I was there from the beginning, Bugge had this idea of having a label and he asked me and some other guys to make records there. And I am very greatful for this, because I doubt that I would have been able to get my things together if he hadn´t given me a push in the right direction.

 

WK: Dhafer Youssef – I think this person has changed your musical taste. Can you confirm that ?

AE: No actually Dhafer haven´t changed me that much I think in terms of sounds and tunes, but I have been much better to play in odd meters! And it is also a real joy to be on stage playing with him; he is an unbelivable musician with an incredible and positiv energy.

WK: You've worked with Jacek Kochan. “New Expensive Head” was recorded by many fantastic persons like you Cuong Vu or Skerik. What do you remember from this session?

AE: Actually I recorded everything in my home studio alone...


WK: Come back to your solo carrier. When we can expect new album?

AE: My new album will be released in september. And I think it will be really good...:)

 

WK: Do you know a Power Trio as they called : Możdżer Danielsson Fresco ?

AE: No I don´t, I will try to find out about them. I guess it is very good?


WK: They're just brilliant - believe me:) What are your musical interests? What are you listening to?

AE: Very many different things. The Books, Fennesz, Nels Cline, Erkan Ogur, Daniel Lanois, David Torn, Brian Eno, Tortoise, Arvo Pärt, Djavan Gasparian, Salif Keita, Murcof, Meshuggah, Michael Brook, Bill Frisell and always Jon Hassell and 70´s Miles.

 

WK: What means music for you?

AE: Music is a big part of my life, both in sense of spending time rehearsing, travelling ,studio and stage, but also as a way to experience my surroundings and express myself in a diffrent way than I can with words.

 

WK: I’m out of questions. Thank you for your time.

AE: Thank you! I am glad and greatful for your interest!


Interview was made in March 2007

Brak komentarzy: